- Ankara University School of Medicine; Ankara, Turkey
Residency & Internship:
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (Internal Medicine); Oklahoma City, OK
- Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University (Medical Oncology, Hematology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation); Winston-Salem, NC (Three year fellowship training in Medical Oncology, Hematology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation. His fellowship included a one-year program entitled "Specialized Training in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation" which was designed to fulfill the guidelines for training (BMT fellowship) adopted by the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation)
- Clinical Professor, Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine Washington State University-Spokane
* Co-chairs the hematology/oncology course committee, charged with developing and teaching the hematology/oncology course in this newly opened medical school
* Member, Medical School Admissions Committee
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine-Spokane
* Teaches residents and medical students.
* Provides clinical research opportunities for trainees.
* Gives regular didactic lectures in hematology/oncology subjects to internal medicine residency faculty, house staff, community physicians, and medical students.
* Educates Inland Northwest community by giving lectures to the public, appearing in local radio /TV shows, and being a resource to local journals.
- Adjunct Professor, Voiland School of Chemical Engineering & Bioengineering, Washington State University-Pullman
* Consultant to WSU faculty in developing multiple myeloma related basic science projects
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Medical Oncology
Honors & Leadership
- Best Doctors in America® list, specialty Medical Oncology & Hematology, 2015-2017
- Recipient of Outstanding Clinical Faculty Award for 2006-2007 by Internal Medicine Residency Spokane
- Recipient of the Assembly of Turkish American Associations (ATAA) 2004 Outstanding Achievement in the Arts/Sciences Award
- Recipient of Chief Residents’ Award for Outstanding Service to the Residency Program, University of Oklahoma
- Recipient of Best Poster Presentation Award at the Department of Medicine House Staff Research Day, University of Oklahoma, Department of Medicine
- Recipient of Special Recognition Award in Poster Presentation in allogeneic bone marrow transplantation at the American College of Physicians-Oklahoma Chapter Annual Meeting
- Best Student Research Award in Basic Sciences, Ankara University School of Medicine
- Scored among the top 0.1 % students out of 500,000 examiners who took the university admission test in 1986 in Turkey
- In the local media:
- Wang M, Popplewell LL, Collins RH Jr, Winter JN, Goy A, Kaminski MS, Bartlett NL, Johnston PB, Lister J, Fanning SR, Tuscano JM, Beck JT, Kaya H, Robeva A, Fan J, Klimovsky J, Cheung W, Cherfi A, O'Connor OA.. Everolimus for patients with mantle cell lymphoma refractory to or intolerant of bortezomib: multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 study. Br J Haematol. 2014 May;165(4):510-8. doi: 10.1111/bjh.12780. Epub 2014 Mar 2.
- Jones G, Arthurs B, Kaya H, Macdonald K, Qin R, Fairbanks RK, Lamoreaux WT, Jawed I, Tward JD, Martincic D, Shivnani AT, Lee CM. Overall Survival Analysis of Adjuvant Radiation Versus Observation in Stage I Testicular Seminoma: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Analysis. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Oct;36(5):500-4. doi: 10.1097/COC.0b013e318254950a.
- Kaya H, Peressini B, Jawed I, Martincic D, Elaimy AL, Lamoreaux WT, Fairbanks RK, Weeks KA, Lee CM. Impact of age, race and decade of treatment on overall survival in a critical population analysis of 40,000 multiple myeloma patients. Int J Hematol (2012) 95:64–70
- Gottlieb K, Anders K, Kaya H. Obstructive jaundice in a patient with mycosis fungoides metastatic to the pancreas. EUS findings. JOP .2008 Nov 3;9(6):719-24. Kaya H, Keung YK, Radford JE, et al. High response rate to Rituximab in relapsed/progressive low grade B-cell NHL after high dose chemotherapy and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2002;8(10): 544-9
- Kaya H, Lee WR, Bare R, Hall MC, Torti FM. Recent advances in the treatment of prostate cancer. Annals of Oncology 1999;10:891-898.
- Kaya H, Hall MC, Torti FM. Defining treatment failure after local treatment, restaging. In: Kantoff PW, Carroll P, D’Amico A (eds): Prostate Cancer. Lippincott Williams Publishers, 2002
- David Samuel DiCapua Siegel, Richy Agajanian, Rakesh Gaur, Kasra Karamlou, Hakan Kaya, Michael Sturniolo, Rosanna J. Ricafort, Gail Larkins, Shankar Srinivasan, Rajesh Chopra, Anjan Thakurta, Yasir M. Nagarwala, Flavio Kruter; MM-014: A phase 2 trial evaluating efficacy, safety, and biomarkers of pomalidomide plus low-dose dexamethasone (POM + LoDEX) in relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma (RRMM) following second-line lenalidomide plus dexamethasone (LEN + DEX).
Presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology June 2014.
- Paul G. Richardson, MD1, Arnon Nagler, MD2, Dina Ben-Yehuda, MD3, Ashraf Z. Badros, MD4, Parameswaran Hari, MD5, Roman Hajek, MD6, Ivan Spicka, MD7, Hakan Kaya, MD8, Richard LeBlanc, MD9, Sung-Soo Yoon, MD10, Kihyun Kim, MD11, Joaquin Martinez-Lopez, MD12, Moshe Mittelmann, MD13, Ofer Shpilberg, MD14, Elena Tothova, MD15, Jacob Laubach1 , Irene Ghobrial1 , Merav Leiba, MD2 , Moshe Gatt, MD3, Peter Sportelli16, Michael Chen, PhD17 and Kenneth C. Anderson, MD1. Randomized Placebo-controlled Phase III Study of Perifosine Combined with Bortezomib and Dexamethasone in Relapsed, Refractory Multiple Myeloma Patients Previously Treated with Bortezomib.
Presented at the annual meeting of American Society of Hematology, December 2013
- Vij R, Moezi M, Foà R, Cook G, Palumbo A, Kaya H, Dauriac C, Voillat L, Durie B, Cella D, Annemans L, Su Y, Mukhopadhyay P, Le TK, Petrucci MT. A New Multinational Observational Study in Multiple Myeloma: Initial Report of the PREAMBLE Study.
Presented at the annual meeting of American Society of Hematology, December 2013
- Hakan Kaya, MD, Danko Martincic, MD, Irfan Jawed, MD, Ben Peressini, MS, Ameer L Elaimy1* and Christopher M Lee, MD1* A Critical Population Analysis of 57,500 US Multiple Myeloma Patients: Impact of Race, Age, and Decade of Treatment on Overall Survival.
Presented at the annual meeting of American Society of Hematology, December 2011
- Jawed I, Lee CM, Tward JD, Macdonald KO, Martincic D, Kaya H. Survival Outcomes for Multiple Myeloma Over Three Decades: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Analysis. Oral presentation at 2007 ASCO Annual Meeting.
- Vudarla N, Jawed I, Kaya H, Tward JD, Macdonald OK, Martincic D, Gaffney DK, Shivnani AT, Odom-Maryon TL, Lee CM. Survival and secondary malignancy rates for adjuvant radiation therapy versus observation in stage I testicular seminoma: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) analysis. Oral presentation at 2007 ASCO Annual Meeting.
- Kaya H, Manning C, Case D, Hurd D. Cytokine Gene Polymorphism in Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant Patients and Donors. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 2000
- Kaya H, Acastomiado J, et al. A Phase II trial of Navelbine, Adriamycin, and Prednisone Combination Chemotherapy in Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 19, 2000
- Acostamadiedo J, Case D, Perry J, Kaya H, et al. Randomized Trial of G-CSF Primed Autologous Bone Marrow vs. G-CSF Primed Peripheral Blood Stem Cells as Hematopoietic Support after high Dose Cyclophosphamide Thiotepa, and Carboplatin in Poor Prognosis Breast Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 19, 2000
- Keung YK, Kaya H, Radford JE, et al. Adjuvant use of Rituximab after autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for advanced Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Blood 1999;94:S401b
- Kute TE, Kaya H, Radford JE, et al. Is NM 23 expression related to metastatic disease in breast cancer? Lab Invest 79:24A, 1999
- Kaya H, Case D, Perry J, et al. Updated results of multi-modality therapy including high-dose cyclophosphamide, thiotepa, carboplatin and autologous transplant for locally advanced breast cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 17, 1998
- Kaya H, Confer D. Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation: Comparison of graft-versus host disease, relapse and disease free survival in related and unrelated donor transplants Program Book, American College of Physicians-Oklahoma Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting, 1995